Friday, September 18, 2009

Why I follow Photo Tech

I am a techie in my heart.  I have owned PCs since the early 80's... yes I am that old!  I have always been fascinated about what technology can do for mere humans such as I.  When I got involved in Digital Photography about 9 years ago, after dumping all my Olympus SLR gear in the mid 80's, I went after the tech in the same way I have gone after learning computers and MIDI gear, etc.

Boy was I surprised by the responses I got from folks on forums where I thought I could ask questions.  Here is what I would read at just about any question asked, "Man you are wasting time asking questions like that... go take pictures and stop wasting time here."  So, this article is my reply to him from me and on behalf of the newby who is reading this and getting the same response.

"Dude, go take pictures yourself and take your sanctimonious attitude with you!"  People visit online to get information to learn how to use there equipment from experienced people!  For Pete's sake folks, help those asking questions and stop being elitist jerks.

Now to those who do answer questions, thanks for sharing.  I am a better photographer for it.  You have inspired me to get better.

Ahhhhhhh, now that that is off my mind, here is why I follow the tech. We can do a lot more with photography today than we could in the pre scanner film days.  Heck, if you can afford it, you can get medium format digital quality on a DSLR that was unthinkable a few years ago.  Heck, the 14-25MP arena used to be unthinkable as recently as 6 or 7 years ago.  So, I want to use every tool available to me to follow my main mantra:

"I want to share in a photograph what I see, not just what is there"  Photography is every bit an art form as is painting or sculpting.  So, I want to be as much about creating a piece of art as I want to take a picture.  To do this, I take a lot of pictures AND I am always learning more about the tools available to me.  It is that simple.  So, you elitist, purist louts out there that  poo poo my using live view, dis in-camera HDR and insist that Image Stabilization is just a cover up for bad technique, I quote Bill the Cat, "Ack, ack, ack".

(The New Tech I have learned from  folks on the forusms)

No comments:

Post a Comment